Privacy Statement Effective Date: 2019-11-20
Our Voice USA is committed to protecting your privacy when you visit the HelloVoter website or use the HelloVoter mobile application (“HelloVoter”). This Privacy Statement explains what information we collect when you visit or use HelloVoter, how we use and share that information, and the policies we apply to protect the information we collect.
I. COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
We collect the following types of information when you use HelloVoter:
- Information you provide directly to us.
- Contact information, including name, email address and other contact details;
- Social media account authentication, including your social media provider, name, email and avatar photo, which we receive when you sign up using your social media account;
- Party affiliation, if you choose to provide it (otherwise you will be considered as having no party preference);
- Organization information, such as the issue or candidate represented, and names and contact details of other team members, if you choose to provide this information;
- Preferences and location, according to your settings such as whether you would like to receive emails and notifications, and if you choose to provide it, your location; and
- Submissions, notes and correspondence you send to us, including field notes you include when using HelloVoter, any information you provide when you contact us by email and social media, and information you provide on our public blogs and other online forums.
- Information we collect automatically. We collect information automatically from the devices and browsers that you use, including your Internet protocol (IP) address, device identifiers, browser type and version, the date and time of your visit, information about how you use HelloVoter and the links you click and pages you view, and other standard server log information. We may also derive an approximate location for you based on your IP address and/or WiFi connection.
We may also receive information about you from other sources, including from other team members on HelloVoter. HelloVoter enables users to upload public voter files and to take canvassing notes, which may include information about you, but will not be linked to your HelloVoter account, unless you or a teammate have added it.
II. USE OF INFORMATION
We may use your information for the following purposes:
- To allow you to make use of the HelloVoter services and participate in interactive features, when you choose to do so;
- To manage accounts and our relationship with you, including providing you with the information, products and services that you request from us, and notifying you about changes to our terms or Privacy Statement;
- To improve HelloVoter and to ensure that content is presented in the most relevant and effective manner for you and for your device;
- To administer HelloVoter, including troubleshooting, testing, statistical and survey purposes;
- To keep our HelloVoter and users safe and secure, to comply with applicable laws and regulations, and to protect or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; and
- For aggregate and statistical purposes, such as measuring voter engagement and modelling participation.
III. SHARING INFORMATION
We are committed to maintaining your trust, and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share the information we collect.
- Members of your organization. We enable you to use HelloVoter to share information with other members of your team.
- Authorized third-party service providers. We share your information with third-party vendors and service providers that provide services to us, such as hosting and data storage providers.
- Voter engagement non-profits. We may share insights about voter engagement derived from the use of HelloVoter with non-profit and academic organizations. This will not include the account information of HelloVoter users.
- Legal purposes. We may disclose information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, law enforcement requests, legal claims or government inquiries, and to protect and defend our rights and interests.
- With your consent. We may share information for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect the information or pursuant to your consent.
If you access third-party services, such as social media services and third-party single-sign on tools, through HelloVoter, these third-party services may be able to collect information about you, including information about your activity on HelloVoter in accordance with their own privacy policies.
If you choose to engage in public activities, such as posting on public blogs, you should be aware that any information you share there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these areas. You should use caution in disclosing information while participating in these areas. We are not responsible for the information you choose to submit in these public areas.
IV. COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
The following types of cookies are used on our Services:
- Essential cookies. These cookies enable you to use HelloVoter. These cookies are essential to enable you to browse our website and use certain features. Disabling them may prevent you from using certain parts of the services. Without these cookies, certain services cannot be provided. These cookies also help keep HelloVoter safe and secure.
- Preference cookies. These cookies store information such as your location (if you provide it), login data and website preferences. Without these cookies, we may not be able to remember certain choices you’ve previously made. These cookies can also be used to recognize your device so that you do not have to provide the same information more than once.
- Performance cookies. These cookies collect information about how you use HelloVoter such as which pages you visit regularly. These cookies are used to provide you with a high-quality experience by doing things such as tracking page load, site response times, and error messages.
- Analytics cookies. These cookies allow us to better understand how users engage with HelloVoter, such as which pages are visited most and which links are clicked most frequently, so we can continue to improve our services. Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some mobile and web browsers transmit “do-not-track” signals. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. We currently do not take action in response to these signals.
V. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect all cookies that may be used in connection with HelloVoter. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of certain HelloVoter services.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional emails by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you other types of emails, such as those about your use of HelloVoter as described above.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under 13 without parental consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
VII. DATA RETENTION, SECURITY, AND INTEGRITY
We endeavor to maintain security measures to safeguard information, including by storing information with reputable third parties. You should understand that no data storage system or transmission of data over the Internet can be 100 percent secure.
VIII. CHANGES TO THE PRIVACY STATEMENT
We may modify this Privacy Statement from time to time. When we update the Privacy Statement, we will revise the “Effective Date” date above and post the new Privacy Statement. We recommend that you review the Privacy Statement each time you visit HelloVoter to stay informed of our privacy practices.